Friday, May 4, 2007

Its a Gibbs Thing

I had a conference call with my mom's nurses today. As we went through certain situations - I had to laugh. Her personality is trying to break through the disease. You know her. She is one stubborn lady. It runs in the blood ...

They say she wont stay off the security doors. And that when they ask her to step away from the door (seperating the ALZ unit from the rest of the nursing home), she will look at them, smirk and put ONE finger on the door. Yes, she yielded ... but she still makes her gesture. I can see it "You will not stop me".

And the journalist she is, she is still taking notes and writing - although a little hard to read - she is still able to, which still makes my heart sing. And as clever as she is - she can still find the phone at the nurse's station, just in case, I'm sure. She may not have her memory but she has not lost that bit of herself. I ask God everyday for the grace to keep it coming.

It has been one year since she was first admitted to the hospital and this whole ordeal began. Although, the denial had been going on for much longer. I can't believe how far and fast it has all progressed since then. She is getting used to her new home. It is never easy - especially with Alzheimer's ... getting used to new environments and new people. But three weeks later, she begins to settle.

As for me, I'm ok. It is tough, I admit that now (very hard to do). BUT I get through. We keep on keepin' on. My mom was one of the most amazing things that happened to me, and I will forever know that. I was so fortunate to spend the time with her that I did. I have never questioned anything in my life and I will not begin now. As my great cousin 10 year old Maxx said at Thanksgiving - "Shana, you're ok, you're mom is always with you."

Yes ... yes, she is. I have never doubted that.

God love the innocence of children to keep us going.

No comments: