Monday, July 16, 2007

Hands On

I have been trying to make it to San Antonio at least three times a week, focusing on meal times. She will eat more is you are there with her. It has been a very hands on experience, as I have gotten to know the nurses, doctors and other residents well. I feel Salado Creek is a good family setting, for both her and I - any concerns are immmediately addressed, which always adds greater comfort and all that you can ask.

I talked to the doctor about what we can do to help her keep her busy throughout the day. She is very focused on different fabrics and touches. The doctor suggested a special baby blanket, which has different fabrics and colors which will help to entertain her. Oh, and slinkys! Human touch is always great, so I try to get there and rub lotion on her hands and take care of her nails.

I talked to Julie, the Director of Nursing today inquiring about the same - different perspectives are always helpful. We both believed physical therapy would help and I was under the impression she had been taking it. Double checking she has not been evaluated since the first few days she was there - which was incredibly different with the dibilitating drug Abilify she was on. Therefore, she will now be taking Physical Therapy five times a week - It is aggressive but will help to keep her moving and strong.

I also asked about the fact that she is pocketing food and will not swallow. She has doing this since about March, but each time I inquired about it at the last two homes - I was told there was nothing they could do. But the more I ask at Salado Creek, the more response I get. They will work with Speech Therapy to not only help to get her speaking again but to swallow too.

Today was not a good day though. There is normally a flash of recognition when I come to see her, if not for just a few minutes. But today there was none. Those days are difficult but we overcome. Because tommorrow is a new day and yet another day of possible clarity.

On Friday when I went for dinner, I said "How are you today!?" She said her infamous line, "Alledgedly awake". The only two words she said for two hours - but she is still there. She is more alert and awake than she has been in a month - so for that we are grateful.

No comments: